The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) is reminding eligible professionals (EPs) of the upcoming EHR Incentive Program reporting deadline December 31. EPs must attest to meaningful use to avoid a 2015 payment adjustment.
Here is the full announcement from CMS:
December 31, 2013, is an important deadline for eligible professionals (EPs) participating in the EHR Incentive Programs. It marks the end of the calendar year and the last day of the 2013 meaningful use program year.
If you are an EP participating in the Medicare EHR Incentive Program, you have until February 28, 2014, to attest to demonstrating meaningful use of the data collected during the reporting period for the 2013 calendar year. You must attest by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time on February 28 to demonstrate meaningful use. If you are participating in the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program, please refer to your state’s deadlines for attestation information.
You must attest to demonstrating meaningful use every year to receive an incentive and avoid a payment adjustment.
Payment adjustments will be applied beginning January 1, 2015, if you have not successfully demonstrated meaningful use. The adjustment is determined by the reporting period in a prior year. For more information, visit the payment adjustment tipsheet.
If you are eligible to participate in both the Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs, you MUST demonstrate meaningful use to avoid the payment adjustments. You may demonstrate meaningful use under either Medicare or Medicaid.
If you are only eligible to participate in the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program, you are not subject to these payment adjustments.
EPs in 2014
January 1, 2014 marks many important milestones for EPs participating in the EHR Incentive Programs, including:
• The start of Stage 2 for EPs who have already completed at least two years of Stage 1.
• The last year that Medicare EPs can begin participation and earn an incentive.
• A 3-month reporting period in 2014, regardless of the stage of meaningful use, to allow time to upgrade to 2014 certified EHR technology.
• • Medicare EPs beyond their first year of meaningful use must select a three-month reporting period fixed to the quarter of the calendar year.
• • Medicare EPs in their first year of meaningful use may select any 90-day reporting period that falls within the 2014 calendar year.
• • Medicaid EPs can select any 90-day reporting period that falls within the 2014 calendar year.
• Meaningful Use Attestation Calculator
Review all of the important dates for the EHR Incentive Programs on the HIT Timeline.