- The Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC) is inviting health IT innovators interested in patient access to health data to join them at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and Tufts University for the Blue Button Codeathon beginning January 17.
Here is the full message from the ONC:
Join the ONC, MIT Hacking Medicine, and Tufts MedStart at January 17 Blue Button Codeathon!
Are you a health IT innovator interested in enabling greater patient access to health data?
Beginning on Friday January 17, you can meet and work with other healthcare innovators and develop solutions that can help make a difference in patient and provider relations.
The Blue Button Innovation Challenge Codeathon, sponsored by ONC’s Division of Science and Innovation, Tufts MedStart and MIT Hacking Medicine, will take place on the MIT and Tufts campuses beginning Friday, January 17th and ending Sunday, January 19th.
The Blue Button Innovation Challenge will focus on use cases that take advantage of clinical patient data made available through Blue Button + Direct, a technology standard that will be available in all Meaningful Use-certified technology starting next winter. At the event, you’ll hear from patients and providers who will share their highest priority Blue Button use cases to help guide development over the weekend and the judging criteria.
Example ideas may include but are not limited to:
• Co-designed applications that can improve communication between the health care provider and the patient (i.e., care plans and notes that both the patient and physician can contribute to);
• Simplifying medical jargon, content, and diagnoses for patients (i.e., consumer friendly definitions of clinical terms);
• Clinical health information visualizations. (i.e., interactive lab results);
• Population trend analysis (i.e., seasonal, location specific tracking of symptoms at an aggregate level);
• Patient record matching to clinical trials.
For more information on the Codeathon, please visit http://tuftsmedstart.com/. We hope to see you in Boston!